Experimental Physical Chemistry: Experiments
- 10. Dipole moment
- Polarizabilities and dipole moments from measurements of dielectric constant and index of refraction of liquids.
- 15. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy
- Molecular structure and dynamics of nuclear motion in diatomic molecules (HCl and DCl) from rotationally resolved infrared absorption spectra. Options: Ethine (effects of nuclear spin); carbon dioxide (Fermi resonance).
- 17. Raman spectroscopy
- (Rotational) Raman spectra of nitrogen and oxygen (in ambient air).
- 18. Laser induced luminescence of iodine
- Vibrationally resolved spectra of iodine in the gas phase. Franck-Condon factors. Vibrational relaxation. Birge-Sponer plot.
- 19. UV/Vis absorption spectroscopy
- UV/Vis absorption spectra of iodine, benzene, etc.
- 6. Isomerisation of cyclopropane
- Unimolecular reaction of cyclopropane to propene in the gas phase.
- 7. Laser induced luminescence
- Time resolved fluorescence and phosphorescence spectra of benzil (diphenylglyoxal) after excitation by a nitrogen laser. Options: Formation of pyrene excimers in solutions; determination of quinine in soft drinks.
- 8. Recombination of nitrogen atoms
- Dissociation of nitrogen molecules in a microwave discharge. Investigation of the kinetics of the recombination of nitrogen atoms using gas phase titration with nitric oxide and chemiluminescence in a flow tube.
- 21. Flash photolysis
- Flash photolysis of iodine. Kinetics of the recombination of iodine atoms.
- 22. Time resolved polarimetry
- Polarimetric investigation of the kinetics of sucrose inversion (acid catalized).
- 1. High vacuum
- Diffusion and turbo molecular vacuum pumps. Calibration of McLeod and Pirani gauges. Measurement of molecular velocities by Knudsen effusion through a capillary tube.
- 2. BET isotherm
- Brunauer-Emmett-Teller adsorption isotherm of nitrogen on silica gel.
- 11. Heat conduction in gases
- Measurements of the heat conductivities of hydrogen and carbon dioxide using the method of Schleiermacher.
- 16. Mass spectrometry
- Quadrupole mass spectrometer. Residual gas analysis. Ambient air (isotopes). Breath (carbon dioxide). Lighter gas (fragmentation of butane isomers).
Discontinued or spares
- 3. Fractional distillation
- Investigation of the properties of a fractionating distillation column using a cyclohexane/n-hexane mixture.
- 4. Boiling equilibrium
- Vapor-liquid equilibrium of tetrahydrofuran/methanol mixtures.
- 5. Gas chromatography
- Optimization of the separation of alcanes or alcanoles on a packed column (Van Deemter curve).
- 9. Magnetic susceptibility
- Gouy balance.
- 12. Polarography
- Application of polarographic methods in quantitative chemical analysis (composition of brass; traces of lead and cadmium in tap water).
- 13. Temperature jump
- Relaxation technique for the investigation of fast reactions in solution.
- 14. Decomposition of diacetone alcohol
- Kinetics of a catalytic reaction in solution: Decomposition of diacetone alcohol (4-methyl-2-pentanon-4-ol).
- 20. Scanning electron microscopy
- SEM-EDX, scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersed x-ray microanalysis